During the early morning of March 27th (Finnish time) the servers of the Genealogical Society of Finland crashed – well, actually the Irish server of the server hotel (Amazon) crashed and – down went all the virtual services that were hosted there, among them the SFHS website, Finlander and Talko…
Current situation: (April 8th, 21:00 Helsinki time)
- the very basic service of the GSF website is up and running
- all SFHS services, located on the GSF server are down at the moment
- everybody trying to access the SFHS server, ie. Finlander forum, the SFHS website, the SFHSWiki article repository, DEE – Document all emigrants -database, Talko genealogy database etc., etc. are redirected to a default (Finnish language) page of the Genealogical Society.
- there is no information available as of now over how long the recovery of the servers will take and whether all data could be recovered or not. There are however indications that some of the data within the Finlander forum database and other MySQL databases were lost. More about this later as we get information from the responsible IT-guys of the GSF.
- as the recovery process continues we will be posting information more information. You may also find information on the GSF website behind this link in Finnish.
- the HisKi portion of the server is recovered an up running. Picking up pieces – last year’s forum messages… Not fun… — March, 28th
- Suku and Finlander forums have been recovered an up running. Picking up pieces – last year’s forum messages wiped out because of failing GSF backups. Not fun either… — April, 1th
- The SFHS WP site has completely been destroyed because it was created just after the server move last spring. Has to be redone completely. Sad to notice that unnecessary work goes down the drain…
- The Talko database is also 12 months old – which means that all changes have been wiped out and has to be entered once again. Same situation with the Documenting Every Emigrant -databases. (here I have the material backup’ed but it has to be entered at some point)
- most stuff is up-and-running but the material that was lost has to be reloaded, ie. SFHS home pagees, some of the material within the SFHSWiki repository, Talko submissions done during 2012, some of the DEE database -material etc. — April 8th, 2013
Let us hope that not too much has been lost as result of failing Amazon hardware and also hope that backup solutions in place have saved most of the material.
If questions, feel free to drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org